International Health Insurance
for Chinese Visitors to Australia
More than 700,000 people visit Australia from China every year, drawn by beautiful scenery, the unique natural environment and world-class swimming beaches1.
Whether you’re interested in visiting Australia for a holiday or moving from China to live and work, keep in mind that you are likely to be responsible for your own health costs while in Australia.
Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) is international health insurance designed for visitors on a temporary resident visa.
OVHC from Allianz Global Assistance offers:
- Cover from as little as $18 a week for singles2
- Fortnightly and monthly payment options
- Refunds may be available if you leave Australia early3
- 2 levels of cover to choose from
- Waiting periods waived if you have continuous cover from Overseas Student Health Cover to OVHC
- 24/7 phone assistance
Chinese people living in Australia:
One in 5 Allianz Global Assistance OVHC customers comes from China and 390,000 Chinese-born people currently live in Australia, with 190,000 of these working4.
The average Chinese-born Australian is:
- 35 years old – two years younger than the average Aussie
- A woman – females outnumber males at 55% compared to 45%
- A professional – of those employed, professionals represent the largest share of the total at 24%
Why do you need OVHC?
Since China does not have a reciprocal health care agreement in place with Australia, you won’t be covered by Medicare, the public health insurance system for Australian citizens and permanent residents.
Medical costs in Australia can be high – treatment in Australian hospitals can cost more than $1,500 per day. Without health insurance, you will be responsible for paying these costs.
In fact, the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection requires holders of temporary residency visas with visa condition 8501 to maintain an appropriate level of health cover, such as Allianz Global Assistance’s Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC), during their entire stay in Australia.
The relevant visas will not be issued if such evidence is not provided and overseas visitors who do not maintain the appropriate level of medical insurance overseas are at risk of having their visa cancelled.
The following visa types are eligible for OVHC:
- 401 – Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)
- 402 – Training and Research
- 403 – Temporary Work (International Relations)
- 416 – Seasonal Worker Program
- 417 – Working Holiday
- 420 – Temporary Work (Entertainment)
- 457 – Skilled Temporary Work
- 462 – Work and Holiday
- 485 – Temporary Graduate
- 580 – Student Guardian
- 600 – Visitor
- 601 – Electronic Travel Authority
- 651 – eVisitor
Why choose OVHC from Allianz Global Assistance?
Allianz Global Assistance’s OVHC policies meet the relevant Australian Government health insurance requirements (for visa condition 8501).
Our OVHC policies include cover for a range of medical services to help you stay healthy. They contribute towards the costs of5:
- In-hospital medical treatment
- Prescription medicines
- Emergency ambulance transport
- Surgically implanted prostheses
Illness and accidents do happen, but Allianz Global Assistance can help5.
Call 1300 727 193 or get a quote online and get cover today.
Which level of cover is right for you?
Allianz Global Assistance offers two levels of OVHC.
Our Budget Visitors – Hospital Only Policy covers in-hospital medical treatment, prescription medicines that form part of an episode of hospital care, emergency ambulance transport and surgically implanted prostheses.
Our Visitors Plus Policy provides all the benefits of a Budget Visitors – Hospital Only Policy PLUS cover for many out-of-hospital medical services like visits to a general practitioner or specialist.
1. Tourism Australia Consumer Demand Project – Understanding the Chinese Consumer, May 2014. 2. Based on comparable weekly price of single Budget Visitors – Hospital Only cover purchased monthly. 3. Minimum 1 month refund calculated on pro rata basis. 4. Australian Government DIBP Country Profile – People’s Republic of China, 2013. 5. See our policy wording for full terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.